[SOLVED] Vlookup no working

  1. #1
    Rose Davis
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Vlookup no working

    I have only 2 worksheets in column A is the item # which sometimes has a
    letter associated with it as in 815NB in column B is the desctiption. This
    formula works fine when the cell only contains a number but will not
    including the letter. I can manually retype the cell info and the formula
    will find it even with the letter association. Worksheet 1 has 14000 rows
    and Worksheet 2 has 3000 rows, so I only need some of the information from
    the 1st worksheet. The formula I'm using is =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2,
    FALSE)), "", VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2, FALSE)) Sorry for the length. I also
    tried to change text numbers to numbers and this did not work either.
    Thanks for any assistance

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup no working

    To be absolutely sure your values match, you should be able to copy one and
    replace the other (supposed) match with it (or just type the same value into
    both cells), and see if it works now. If it DOES, then likely, one of your
    lists has spaces in the values somehow.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rose Davis
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup no working

    I am able to replace the cells with a typed and or copied one and I will get
    a match, but I don't have spaces between the values. Here is a sample of
    the item #'s.
    8110101Y-LN
    8120002-LN
    8120002-LNHS
    8120100
    8120100SYG
    Thanks
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup no working

    Sorry, Rose. I didn't mean "between" the values. But perhaps there's
    something weird before or after the values. Insert a column and try
    =trim(a1) on these values, and then replace the old values with the trimmed
    values (copy, Edit-->Paste special, Values) and delete the column you
    inserted to trim them. See if that helps. If not, I'm willing to have a look
    at your workbook.
    ************

  5. #5
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup no working

    Just a thought, is the data comimg from an external source like a web site?

  6. #6
    Rose Davis
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup not working

    That did it. Last part of my problem. How do I get 3 cells to replace 3
    cells based on if J1=yes or no. I have information in cells c1,d1,e1 and I
    need to replace these with the information in cells f1, g1, h1. Basically
    just clearing those 3 cells and replacing with f,g,h. I am unable to delete
    and move left because of the amount of information in 14000 rows.

  7. #7
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup not working

    When you have a different question, you might want to ask it new only
    because the questions get old fast around here, and asking it new should get
    you a qucker answer.
    I'm not sure I understand what you're doing, but if you wanted c1, d1, e1 to
    be equal to f1, g1, h1 ONLY if J1 says "Yes", then try something like this
    (I am assuming that right now the values you have in c1, d1, and e1 are "A",
    "B", and "C". So in C1:
    =if(J1="Yes",f1,"A")
    in D1:
    =if(J1="Yes",g1,"B")