SUBSTITUTE (more than one in Excel ?)

  1. #1
    Andy100
    Guest

    SUBSTITUTE (more than one in Excel ?)

    Using the SUBSTITUTE function in Excel 2002, can i have more than one
    substitute in a column ??

    I have an excel sheet, e.g. Col A i want to change everytime it sees "BAW"
    to "British Airways", but also whenever it sees "BAA" i need it to change to
    "British Airports Authority". There are many more substitutions i need to
    make but i can only get it to work with one at a time !!

    Cheers
    Andy

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: SUBSTITUTE (more than one in Excel ?)

    Andy,

    Make up a table of your substitutions (say, in X1:Y100, with codes in column X and full values in
    Y), and use a formula like

    =VLOOKUP(A1,$X$1:$Y$100,2,False)

    HTH,
    Bernie