stop mouse highlighting cells when moving pointer without pushinganything

  1. #1
    ben
    Guest

    stop mouse highlighting cells when moving pointer without pushinganything

    Hello. I occasionally get into a situation where whenever I move the mouse
    it highlights cells and I can't do anything else. Pressing escape or a mouse
    button (or pressing any other key it seems) does not stop this effect and I
    am forced to do a ctrl-alt-del and end the Excel task so I can load Excel
    again to get it back to normal (losing all changes etc). Last time it
    happened I was trying to do alt-t,p to protect the sheet when it began.

    Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

  2. #2
    ben
    Guest

    Re: stop mouse highlighting cells when moving pointer without pushinganything

    ben wrote:
    > Hello. I occasionally get into a situation where whenever I move the
    > mouse it highlights cells and I can't do anything else. Pressing escape
    > or a mouse button (or pressing any other key it seems) does not stop
    > this effect and I am forced to do a ctrl-alt-del and end the Excel task
    > so I can load Excel again to get it back to normal (losing all changes
    > etc). Last time it happened I was trying to do alt-t,p to protect the
    > sheet when it began.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

    Slight correction to the above. It is happening every time I load Excel as
    soon as I push the mouse button on a cell - everything freezes except for
    allowing me to drag the mouse pointer to highlight adjecent cells. I can
    flip to other applications but can't work in Excel. Please help!!!

  3. #3
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: stop mouse highlighting cells when moving pointer without pushing anything

    ben,

    The F8 key is often responsible for this.
    "Ext" will show in the Status Bar near the clock when it is activated.
    The key toggles off and on.

    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

  4. #4
    ben
    Guest

    Re: stop mouse highlighting cells when moving pointer without pushinganything

    Somehow it started working again after I flipped back to it after writing
    the newsgroup message (I waited to kill it), but next time it happens I will
    try your advise - thanks for your quick response.