HOw do I change group of cells from absolute reference?

  1. #1

    HOw do I change group of cells from absolute reference?

    When I do a Paste Special>Paste Link, the cell looks something like ='MAIN'!$A$3. This is great, its just what I want. Now I remove the $ beofre the 3 and drag the cells so my list is linked correctly, like: ='MAIN'!$A3, ='MAIN'!$A4, ='MAIN'!$A5, and so on. If I don't remove the $, it just stays as $A$3 for every item.

    Here's my question. Is there and easy way to convert the cells back to being locked with the $ in place again like: ='MAIN'!$A$3, ='MAIN'!$A$4, ='MAIN'!$A$5, and so on? Sometimes the list is long and its a pain putting those $ back again. I seem to remember some kind of toggle that would turn absolute ref on and off.

    I guess that my question. Is there some way usinf the keyboard to turn a cell into absolute referencing and back again? Thanks.

  2. #2

    Re: HOw do I change group of cells from absolute reference?

    Highlighting the address in the formula bar, then hitting F4 will toggle between
    all the absolute/relative possibilities.

    $a$1
    $a1
    a$1
    a1

  3. #3
    THanks. Guess that's where I saw the toggle thing. Is there a way to do a range of cells?

  4. #4

    Re: HOw do I change group of cells from absolute reference?

    You could have a macro do it.

    Gord Dibben recently posted this:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...c824e9ba8ce2f7

    or