Automatic refresh (F9) in excel ????

  1. #1
    Andy100
    Guest

    Automatic refresh (F9) in excel ????

    I'm sure it has been asked before and seems a pretty simple question, but
    can excel automatically refresh (calculate now, F9) ??. i.e. if i wanted to
    make a simple clock in excel by entering " =now() " into a cell, could i
    then make excel auto calculate this every second so that it keeps up with
    current time ??

    Cheers
    Andy

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Automatic refresh (F9) in excel ????

    Unless you use Tools|Options|Calculate to change things, Excel recalculates
    whenever a new formula is entered. With =NOW() in A1, type 5 in C1 and 7 in
    D1 and =C1+D1 in E1. Now wait a few minutes (make coffee) and change D1 to
    20. When you hit the Enter key, nor only is E1 recalculated but so is E1
    Alternatively use Format:Cell:Custom to format A1 as hh:mm:ss. Now you need
    wait only seconds

    Somewhere, someone has an Excel clock. Try
    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Here ya go

    Careful, this could tie up your system if you do it to long!!!

    open a new work book,
    right click and view code
    paste this in the window

    Sub Clock()

    'Create an iteration counter
    For i = 1 To Range("b1")

    'Recalculate the worksheet
    Worksheets("sheet1").Calculate
    'Update the worksheet with the latest iteration number
    Range("b2") = i

    'Increment value of i by i
    Next i

    End Sub

    In cell a1 =now() format to desired time view

    in cell b1 enter a number, 5000 would be a good start.

    then go to tools-macro-select clock-run.

  4. #4
    Andy100
    Guest

    Re: Automatic refresh (F9) in excel ????

    Cheers Bernard, i'll give that a try !

    Kind Regards
    Andrew

    news:[email protected]...