Linking cells to files in a folder

  1. #1
    beginnerExceluser
    Guest

    Linking cells to files in a folder

    Hello,
    I'd like to link cells in a column to files in a folder. The cell value is
    the file name within the folder.

    Is there an easy way to do this without linking one cell at a time?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Mel Arquiza
    Guest

    RE: Linking cells to files in a folder

    Try to cut and paste this macro code to a new excel file and run.

    Sub AutoHyperlinkFileNametoExcel()
    Dim fnam As Variant

    ' fnam is an array of files returned from GetOpenFileName
    ' note that fnam is of type boolean if no array is returned.
    ' That is, if the user clicks
    ' on cancel in the file open dialog box, fnam is set to FALSE

    Dim b As Integer 'counter for filname array
    Dim b1 As Integer 'counter for finding \ in filename
    Dim Cell As Range
    Dim x As Integer
    ' first open a blank sheet and go to top left ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Add

    fnam = Application.GetOpenFilename("all files (*.*), *.*", 1, _
    "Select Files to Fill Range", "Get Data", True)

    If TypeName(fnam) = "Boolean" And Not (IsArray(fnam)) Then Exit
    Sub 'if user hits cancel, then end

    For b = 1 To UBound(fnam)

    ' print out the filename (with path) into first column of new
    sheet
    ActiveSheet.Cells(b, 1) = fnam(b)
    b1 = Len(fnam(b))

    ' add any other columns to s/s here
    ' this code makes the drawing name from the filename
    ' by stripping off the directory name and the extension

    Do While Mid(fnam(b), b1, 1) <> "\"
    b1 = b1 - 1
    Loop
    Next
    'resize the columns

    ActiveSheet.Range("a:zz").Columns.AutoFit
    x = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
    Range("B1").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=HYPERLINK(RC[-1])"
    Range("B1").Select
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("B1:B" & x), Type:=xlFillDefault
    End Sub