formula help

  1. #1
    Viviank
    Guest

    formula help

    I am helping the choir teacher set up a spreadsheet for fundraising and fee
    info. Here's my problem. She has imposed a $50 choir fee, which some of the
    students have paid (most haven't). She told other students that they could
    fundraise the amount if they haven't paid it. I could figure out how to set
    that up but my problem is that some of the students made partial payments.
    In a nutshell I need a formula that will say...Here's my total fundraising
    amount (say $100) from this put $X in my choir fee to equal $50 (some choir
    fees might already have the total $50, some might have less than $50, most
    have 0), then put the rest in my student account. I had a max/min formula
    =MIN(50, I6) and =MAX(0, I6-J6) that would work, except when I got to the
    kids who had a partial payment in
    the field already. I also want to make sure that if the student paid it
    already, that payment doesn't get wiped out by my new formula. Any help is
    appreciated. I'm a novice at this stuff

    Vivian K.

  2. #2
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: formula help

    The following should do it (at least as far as I understand the problem) -

    D: =C3-B3
    E: =IF(D3<50,0,C3-D3)
    F: =IF(D3<50,0,C3-D3)

    A B C D E F
    Name Initial fee Amnt received Balance Choir Other
    A 50.00 25.00 -25.00 0.00 0.00
    B 50.00 100.00 50.00 50.00 50.00
    C 50.00 150.00 100.00 50.00 100.00

    Regards.