Linking Excel Worksheets

  1. #1
    GLT
    Guest

    Linking Excel Worksheets

    Hi,

    I have 5 worksheets set up - A, B, C, D and E.

    I would like to have worksheets B, C, D and E so that they are a copy of A.

    Whenever there is a change made to worksheet A (Something is added, or
    deleted or modified) then this is reflected on the other worksheets.

    Is there anyway to link worksheets this way (not just particular cells)?

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Linking Excel Worksheets

    Hi

    Click on tab A, hold down Shift and click on tab E
    The sheets are now Grouped and at the top left of your screen you will see
    [Grouped].
    Now anything you do to any sheet will be reflected in all of the others.

    Just click on any individual tab to Ungroup them.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    GLT
    Guest

    Re: Linking Excel Worksheets

    Hi Roger,

    Thanks for your reply.

    One thing a forgot to note was that the data in sheets B, C, D and E are
    filtered.

    When I use this method, the data typed into worksheet A appears on the other
    sheets regardless of the filter.

    Is there anyway that for the Data in worksheets B, C, D, E be obtained from
    A, but the filters apply when the B, C, D and E are selected?

    Cheers

  4. #4
    GLT
    Guest

    Re: Linking Excel Worksheets

    If this is beyone Excel's scope to do this, I would appreciate someone saying
    so...

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Linking Excel Worksheets

    Hi

    If you re-apply the filter on the sheet, by clicking the drop down and
    re-selecting the original selection, this will "clean up" the sheet form any
    extraneous values that get carried over to it.

    If you wanted to automate this, put the following code into each of sheets
    B,C,D,E

    Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()

    Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="Roger"

    End Sub

    Change the criteria on each one to the selection criteria you want.

    Right click on the sheet tab>View Code and paste the code into the top right
    pane.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  6. #6
    GLT
    Guest

    Re: Linking Excel Worksheets

    Hi Roger,

    Thanks for your reply - this works except in sheets 2 & 4 I have some
    columns hidden as the data displayed is not relevant for these sheets.

    Can you advise if the feild number changes when there are hidden columns?

    For example, column F (which is the 6th column) on the 1st worksheet (which
    displays ALL data) is column F on the second worksheet but is actually the
    second column.

    I tried using:

    Selection.AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:="D"

    Then the data disapears completely and I cant get it back even if I remove
    the code(ie. I have to recreate the 2nd sheet from the 1st).

    Also, is there a way i can get each worksheet to delete is data, copy it in
    from worksheet a, then apply the filters?

    When I update the data from worksheet 1, it does not carry accross onto the
    other worksheets anymore.

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Linking Excel Worksheets

    Hi

    If you want to send me a copy of the workbook directly by email along with a
    full explanation of what you want, I will see if I can sort it out for you.

    Remove NOSPAM from my email address to send.

    Regards

    Roger Govier