If expired, change color

  1. #1
    LMB
    Guest

    If expired, change color

    Hi Guys,

    Using Excel 2000. I have a sheet that has dates of annual and bi-annual
    certificates. I would like the font color to change if the date on the
    sheet is expired. Can I set this up by column since some columns expire in
    1 year and others in 2?

    The other issue is that if the certificate date is 10/15/05, the actual
    expiration date is at the end of the month for both 1 and 2 year renewals.

    Thanks,
    Linda

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: If expired, change color

    I suggest that you explicitly include both the issue and expiration dates in
    separate cells. If the issue date is in A1, then the expiration date is :

    =DATE(YEAR(A1)+1,MONTH(A1)+1,1)-1 for one year

    Then use conditional formatting to compare expiration date to TODAY()

    b.t.w use YEAR(A1)+2 for two years.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    LMB
    Guest

    Re: If expired, change color

    Thanks,

    I'll give that a try!

    Linda

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: If expired, change color

    Hi Linda,
    For some help with the conditional formatting part see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm

    The dates leaves quite a bit of interpretation, but if you
    wanted to compare a date to today's date you might
    use TODAY() in your formula.
    ---
    HTH,