Sort - alphanumeric.

  1. #1
    Brad
    Guest

    Sort - alphanumeric.

    I have numerical data with alphabetical prefixes in a column.

    This is what I get when I sort:
    C1,C10,C2,C8,R1,R10,R11,R2

    This is what I want when I sort:
    C1,C2,C8,C10,R1,R2,R10,R11.

    How can I do this?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Sort - alphanumeric.

    You need to extract the numbers into ahelp column and sort by the help
    column, if indeed you only have a letter in the string you can use

    =--RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

    copy down, select both columns and sort by the help column

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Sort - alphanumeric.

    Hi Brad,
    I guess Peo meant if you only have the same letter in front
    of each cell. Some additional suggestions might be found in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorttcp.htm
    When asking a question you want to include a representation
    of what you would actually be working with.
    ---
    HTH,