How do I calculate hours in Excel

  1. #1
    Dragonrana
    Guest

    How do I calculate hours in Excel

    I have a start date and an end date.What I need is to give the difference in
    hours? How do I do that?

    i.e. 9:00AM (Start Date)
    12:00 PM (End Date)

    Result : 3 hours

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Search33
    Guest

    RE: How do I calculate hours in Excel

    You should be able to just use a simple subtraction
    for example, A1=9 am A2=12 pm A3=A2-A1 gives the result in A3 as 3:00 AM
    you can then format A3 as custom and put h. This should give you 3

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate hours in Excel

    Time is measured as a fraction of a day. If you keep the
    hh:mm or hh:mm:ss formatting you can calculated with time, but
    Excel will not format negative times. If you have a total where
    hours may reach or exceed 24 hours you want to format as
    [hh]:mm to keep the hours from rolling off into days.

    If you want to use time in a calculation that uses hours then you must
    multiply the time by 24 for hours worked.

    For more information on Dates and Times, and how to measure
    time worked through midnight see these pages.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm

    i;e.
    B2: 22:50