formula percentage problem

  1. #1
    thinkpic
    Guest

    formula percentage problem

    Hi everyone. This is my first post. I am a relatively new user of excel.
    I am able to devise simple formula {eg. =sum(A1+B1)] but I now have the
    need for something way outside my ability and I was hoping someone
    might be able to help.

    I am developing a spreadsheet to monitor share trading. I want one of
    the fields to represent the current imputed per annum percentage gain
    or loss of a trade. In other words I have bought but not yet sold the
    shares but I want to know what itheir p.a. percentage increase or
    decrease would be if I sold today at their current price.

    In simple terms here is an example of the problem I want a formula to
    solve:

    I buy a stock for $200 on Sept 1. On Oct1 it is worth $210. Obviously
    it has gone up by 5% over 30 days but what would its current per annum
    percentage rise be. The answere would be 5 divided by 30/365ths or
    aprox 60%.

    This is even getting complicated for my math but I have no idea how to
    express this problem as a formula - particularly when it comes to
    calculating the number of days. I assume that the computer clock/date
    can be used in the equation but I have no idea how. Even when I
    calculate the day/year fraction manually I have no idea how to write
    the formula to calculate the percentage.

    The only fields in the spreadsheet that I am hoping to use are: Column
    A = Purchase date; B = purchase price; C = current price. (Hopefully
    the computer knows the current date).

    Can this be done?If so could anyone please please please give me the
    formula?

    --
    thinkpic
    thinkpic's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m175

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    Maybe like this: (assuming your data is in row 2)

    =((C2-B2)/B2)/((TODAY()-A2)/365)

    and format the cell containing this formula as percentage.
    Last edited by Cutter; 11-01-2005 at 08:47 PM.

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: formula percentage problem

    First the concept:

    You have two dates and the values at these dates. BY subtracting the dates
    and the values you can calculate the average amount of gain EACH DAY.
    Multiply by the number of days in a year to get the gain in a year and then
    figure the percentage.

    Starting in A1:

    9/1/2005 200
    10/1/2005 210

    subtracting (and making sure A3 is formatted as General) A3 and B3:

    30 10 thirty day and 10 dollars

    In B4 put =B3/A3 and you'll see .3333333333333
    This is the increase in a single day
    In B5 put =B4*356 and you'll see 121.66666666
    This is the increase in a year
    In B6 put =B5/B1 format as percentage and you'll see 60.83%

    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4

    thinkpic wrote:
    > I buy a stock for $200 on Sept 1. On Oct1 it is worth
    > $210. Obviously it has gone up by 5% over 30 days but
    > what would its current per annum percentage rise be.
    > The answere would be 5 divided by 30/365ths or aprox 60%.

    That might not be the correct way to annualize stock
    returns. Nonetheless, I can show you how to express
    the formula that you have in mind.

    > This is even getting complicated for my math but I
    > have no idea how to express this problem as a formula
    > [....]
    > The only fields in the spreadsheet that I am hoping to
    > use are: Column A = Purchase date; B = purchase price;
    > C = current price. (Hopefully the computer knows the
    > current date). Can this be done?

    To answer your last question: yes, the TODAY() function
    yields the current date.

    However, I suggest that you put the date associated with
    the "current" price into column D (e.g). Since you are
    putting the "current" price into a cell -- not acquiring
    it dynamically -- the computed growth rate will be
    misleading if you use TODAY() and look at the spreadsheet
    on another day.

    Then the formula that you express above would be:

    =(C1/B1 - 1)*(365/(D1-A1))

    That yields 60.83% for your example, as you computed
    manually.

    That annualizes the amount of change. Some people might
    argue that you should annualize the growth rate. The
    formula for that is:

    =(C1/B1)^(365/(D1-A1)) - 1

    That yields 81.05% for your example.

    Arguably, there are reasons why neither is the correct
    answer.

    1. Should you use the number trade days instead of the
    number of calendar days?

    2. Should you use the "square root of time" rule instead
    of either a geometric or linear proportional change?

    3. Is it misleading to annualize growth rates of smaller
    time periods of a stochastic process?

    I believe you will find champions of arguments on both
    sides of each of those questions. I suggest that you
    do a google search to decide which side you want to take.

  5. #5
    thinkpic
    Guest

    Re: formula percentage problem

    Thanks for being so helpful! These communities are just great. I tried
    what has been suggested and it worked. Again thanks (I will look into
    the various philosophies but at the moment I am happy with this.

  6. #6
    Gary''s Student

  7. #7