Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

opening multiple windows at once?

  1. #1
    Chris
    Guest

    opening multiple windows at once?

    Sorry -- I'm a happy Excel user on a Mac who's temporarily using a PC and
    obviously not fit for prime time. I cannot for the life of me get Excel to
    let me open two windows at the same time with two different spreadsheets, so
    that I can see them both and copy freely from one to the other. When
    clicking on a new file on the desktop, Excel replaces my presently open
    window with the window to the new file, thereby denying me the opportunity to
    see the old one. When clicking on the old one in the task bar, you guessed
    it -- the new one now disappears and the old one returns. Yes, I checked
    Help, which told me to add a new window under the Window menu and then, when
    it's live, click on the file I want to open. Only one problem: when I add a
    new window, again, the old one disappears. Maybe there's a setting in the
    Windows XP operating system causing this weird behavior and it's not Excel at
    all? Helpl -- it would be nice to start being productive in the PC
    environment and stop missing the familiar Mac quite so much...

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: opening multiple windows at once?

    Check your options under Window > Arrange. (It may be important to open one
    file then use File > Open to open the second in order to have both files open
    with a single instance of the application).

  3. #3
    Chris
    Guest

    RE: opening multiple windows at once?

    Ahh! arrange didn't even show under windows, but using the arrow to bring up
    other options below the present list uncovered it. Now either tiled or
    cascaded helps at least give a prism into multiple sheets at a time.
    thanks...

    BUT...

    the multiple windows are now still imprisoned in a sort of mini-desktop that
    Excel constrains them inside...

    I want to be able to have one Excel window next to one Word document and
    another Excel window next to the window for my email account, all four being
    equal windows that I can move anywhere on my desktop...

    Any way to get individual spreadsheet windows outside the Excel mini-desktop
    prison??