Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Why do some number appear as text?

  1. #1
    Rock
    Guest

    Why do some number appear as text?

    Hi,

    I have just exported some data in a table from an sql file to Excel and
    have noticed that some of the figures in the column have a small green
    triangle next to it with the message, 'it is formatted as text or has an
    apostrophe in front of it'.

    What does this mean?

    I am trying to change a column of 0's to 1's then import it back into
    sql, but after replacing the 0's with 1's, find that some have this
    triangle.

    I have searched the help files but can't find anything to help me.

    Thanks

    Rock

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Why do some number appear as text?

    Excel is seeing them as text; it's very common. See "Data isn't
    recognized..."

    ************
    Anne Troy
    VBA Project Manager
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Why do some number appear as text?

    Hi Rock,
    Preceding a value with a single quote is one way of formatting
    a cell as text, the other way is through format, cells, text (or customize)

    I don't know what you are going to want for SQL (a number, or text)
    but since you as why some appear as text, I would take that to e
    mean you want numbers.

    So format the column as General, then run the TRIMALL macro

    If you want a non macro approach, format as number but then
    select an empty cell and copy it (ctrl+C) then select the
    column to be converted, edit, paste special, ADD

    Now you want to convert the 0 to 1, and 1 to 0 so you would
    use a helper column (another column)
    =IF(TRIM(C1)="","",IF(C1=1,0,1))
    You only want to put the formula down as far as you have data
    in column C.

    ---
    HTH,

    "Rock" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just exported some data in a table from an sql file to Excel and
    > have noticed that some of the figures in the column have a small green
    > triangle next to it with the message, 'it is formatted as text or has an
    > apostrophe in front of it'.
    >
    > What does this mean?
    >
    > I am trying to change a column of 0's to 1's then import it back into
    > sql, but after replacing the 0's with 1's, find that some have this
    > triangle.
    >
    > I have searched the help files but can't find anything to help me.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rock

Closed Thread