Can I get multiple values returned for an IF formula?

  1. #1
    TeachCTC
    Guest

    Can I get multiple values returned for an IF formula?

    I have a simple table with student names in B2:L2 and words in A2:A221.
    Under each student name next to the word, I put a 1 if they knew the word or
    a 0 if they did not.
    Question: Can I have the students name returned if they had a 0 in the box
    for a particular word? Example: In A2 the word is 'the'. Under student A I
    entered a 1, under student B a 0, and student C a 0, etc. I want a formula
    that will return each name that has a 0 for that word.

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Can I get multiple values returned for an IF formula?

    Hi
    Maybe the easiest way would be to mark your range B2:L2
    Data>Filter>Autofilter.
    Use the dropdown to select either 0 or 1 as required.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Can I get multiple values returned for an IF formula?

    Another option to try ..

    Sample construct at:
    http://www.savefile.com/files/2931036
    Returning_MultipleColValues_TeachCTC_newusers.xls

    Assume source table is in Sheet1,
    student names in B2:L2, words in A3:A221
    (think there was a typo in the words range,
    should start in A3, not A2)

    Using empty cols to the right,
    Put in N3: =IF(B3="","",IF(B3=0,COLUMN(),""))
    Copy N3 across to X3, fill down to X221

    In a new Sheet2
    -------------
    Put in A2, copy down to A220:
    =IF(Sheet1!A3="","",Sheet1!A3)

    Put in B2:
    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(Sheet1!$N3:$X3,COLUMNS($A$1:A1))),"",
    INDEX(Sheet1!$B$2:$L$2,
    MATCH(SMALL(Sheet1!$N3:$X3,COLUMNS($A$1:A1)),Sheet1!$N3:$X3,0)))

    Copy B2 across to L2, fill down to L220

    Sheet2 will return the student names,
    neatly bunched at the left next to col with the words (col A)
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...