associate alphabet letters with numbers?

  1. #1

    associate alphabet letters with numbers?

    I want to associate letters of the alphabet with numbers so that when a letter is put in a cell, a numerical value can be associated. Sort of like a phone pad-I want it so that you could put the letter in a cell and a designated number would automatiocaly show up in another cell. Is there a way to create a formula that can do this? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: associate alphabet letters with numbers?

    VLOOKUP()can help.

    For example, make a table from A1 to B7:
    a 1
    b 2
    c 3
    d 4
    e 5
    f 6
    g 7
    and put =VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B7,2,TRUE) in D1.

    Then in C1 put a letter and D1 will return the equivalent value

    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3

    Thanks Gary's Student worked great!

    Thanks for the Help!

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: associate alphabet letters with numbers?

    Another option, try CODE()

    With the single alphas listed in A1 down: A, B, C, ... a,b,c ...
    Put in B1: =CODE(A1)
    Copy B1 down

    Upper case A - Z returns: 65 - 90
    Lower case a - z yields: 97 - 122

    If required, apply a simple arithmetic adjustment
    to the numbers returned by CODE,
    e.g. use : =CODE(A1)-64, =CODE(A1)-96, etc
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: associate alphabet letters with numbers?

    The suggestion was slightly off the "beaten" track, admittedly, but unlike
    VLOOKUP, it's an alternative to consider if case sensitivity on the alphas
    is desired.
    --
    Rgds
    Max