adding text

  1. #1
    Jay Taylor
    Guest

    adding text

    I am building a work schedule. I have different text and numerical codes for
    shifts (ob1, ob2, n, sac, 9-5, 1, AND ER) I want the schedule to add only the
    text I have in parenthesis. I want this to be a numerical value. I want it to
    ignore my day off code and Holiday Time(do, ht) Also after this I want
    another cell to show 12- the answer I received from the added days above.
    I do not want to change the format of my schedule. It has been used for years.
    I am using Microsoft Excel 2003 98xp pro
    --
    Jay Taylor

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: adding text

    I'm not clear on what you want.

    First you say you want the schedule to add only the text in parens
    Then you say you want the entry to be a numeric value.

    The text in parents is not numeric. Do you want to convert it to numeric
    somehow? A piece of this puzzle is missing.

    We'll get to the 12 later.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jay Taylor
    Guest

    Re: adding text

    ob1 & ob2 needs to equal 12, n,sac,9-5,1,and er needs to equal 8.
    1 2 3 4 5
    worker 1 ob1 9-5 1 ob2 n should equal 48
    worker 2 n 1 9-5 ob1 ob2 should equal 48

    --
    Jay Taylor

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: adding text

    Hi Jay

    With your data in A1:F3, enter in cell H2
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:F1<>"")*8)+SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(B1:F1,2)="ob")*4)
    and copy down

    Regards

    Roger Govier