excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sheet

  1. #1
    lindsey
    Guest

    excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sheet

    when i open a spreadsheet that i created, how do i get the cursor to go to
    the cell i want it to.. in this spreadsheet i will have to enter information
    in different columns and i want it to automatically go to the first cell
    under the first column. how can i do this?

  2. #2
    Kevin Lehrbass
    Guest

    RE: excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sheet

    Hi Lindsey,

    I can think of two options off the top of my head:
    1) Go to the cell, save and close. The next time you open the workbook, the
    active cell will be the same cell.
    2) Use Excel Events. This requires programming Excel using VBA and when
    done properly can be extremely useful !!! The desired cell will always be the
    active cell regardless of what cell you are in when you hit save.

    There are many excellent tutorials on the web (do a google search "excel vba
    event autoopen"). Here is one link from www.ozgrid.com
    http://www.ozgrid.com/News/ExcelCust...oRunMacros.htm

    Excel is an incredible program and it's so much fun learning !!!!

    Good luck,
    --
    Kevin Lehrbass
    [email protected]

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sheet

    Lindsey

    Right-click on the Excel Icon left of the File command on menu(assuming your
    window is maximized) and "View Code"

    If window not maximized r-click on the logo in title bar.

    Copy/paste this into that module.

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Sheets("Sheet1").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    End Sub

    Edit to your sheet name and range.

    Save and close workbook. Re-open.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    lindsey
    Guest

    Re: excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sh

    thank you so much. i have another question. on a drop down box, is there
    anyway for the arrow to be "inside" the cell with the drop down list and also
    for the arrow to be seen? some guy before me created this worksheet and it
    has drop down boxes where you can see the arrow and it's inside the cell.
    when i create my drop down box, the arrow only shows up when you get to that
    cell and it is outside of the cell. i hope this made since

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sh

    Lindsey

    "Arrow inside and remains in view".

    Sounds like a ComboBox from the Control Toolbox Toolbar.

    Not a Data Validation dropdown.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    lindsey
    Guest

    Re: excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sh

    how do you create a combobox with a list of things

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sh

    Lindsey

    View>Toolbars>Control Toolbox.

    Click on the "design mode" button.

    Click on the "combobox" button.

    Draw a combox box on the sheet.

    Right-click on the combobox and "Properties"

    Edit the ListFillRange to the range of items you have listed on a sheet, say
    A1:A23

    Pick a "linked cell" to link your selection to.

    Set the ListRows to the number items you want to see when you click on the
    arrow.

    Hit the "x" to close.

    Click on the "exit design mode button" and you're good to go.

    These are the very basics. Adjust and add more functions as you wish.

    Gord

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sh

    For more on ComboBox and Data Validation see Debra Dalgleish's site.

    Gord