Address label help

  1. #1

    Address label help

    I am new to excel and I have a client that has a mailing list that was scanned and now in a word doc with 3 or 4 lines. ie
    Name
    Address
    Address 2
    City state zip

    with nothing breaking the City state zip but a space. how can I convert this to an excell file with 7 fields ( Last name, first name....) ?

    Lost

  2. #2
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: Address label help

    Have a look at Data/Text to columns, it is almost self-explanatory!

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „lost printer” ezt *rta:

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Address label help

    Text to columns will not help you, that is to separate items
    on the same line.

    Possibly you do something in MS Word with what you have,
    but I only can suggest a solution of pasting your data
    into Excel then doing the following.

    To prepare the data if it is in Excel you have see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecols.htm

    then for help if needed with Mail Merge see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...rg.htm#snkAddr

    and at the bottom of that section are links to two macros
    use the NAddr3SS macro and reply with 0 since you have a blank
    line between sets. If the data does not come into Excel as
    you indicated with then there are other solutions on the page as well.
    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    zahoulik
    Guest

    Re: Address label help

    If your list of addresses isn't too long, I'd just do it the old
    fashioned way: cut and paste. It may be more tedious, but easier to
    understand.

    zahoulik

  5. #5

    still lost

    I have 4300 names and addresses cut and past is no go

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    On a copy, so as to keep the original safe, I would use Find and Replace to put a comma in to every space. This CSV file (comma separated value) could then be merged onto an excel sheet. See CSV here: http://www.creativyst.com/Doc/Articles/CSV/CSV01.htm Depending on the fields used along Row 1, you could merge all first names in to the first column, the last names in to the second column, and so on. With a little trial and error, most names and address will line up correctly, with (hopefully) only the odd ones that need to be changed manually.
    I've done this to a similar files as yours and with a bit of patience it is possible to do. If things do go wrong, you will still have the original in a safe place.

  7. #7
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Address label help

    No the data is on separate rows.
    The poster needs to use a macro, if not a macro there
    are still other solutions there using worksheet formula, from
    another worksheet and dependent on there being no
    exceptions to how many rows per addressee.
    (see what I posted befored).

    When finished separating the City ST zip
    is trivial if the State is a two character state code
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...tm#seplastterm
    Otherwise you may have to make changes first to
    combine words in states that begin with New, North,
    South by including a period after, separating and then
    removing the period.
    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...