How to keep "text" number from changing to date....

  1. #1
    Julie Willems
    Guest

    How to keep "text" number from changing to date....

    I have copied and pasted numbers from a source on the internet into a column.
    Some appear to be formatted as numbers, some are formatted as text. When I
    reformat using Data and Text to Columns to organize them and get rid of extra
    spaces, any multiple numbers less than 31 with a dash in between them change
    to dates, and then if I reformat cells to text it changes the dates to a five
    digit number. Here is one example... 4-27 changes to Apr 27, then to 38824.

    I have thousands of these. I've been entering '4-27 to keep the number as
    text. This takes forever. There must be an easier way to do the entire
    column. Please help.

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: How to keep "text" number from changing to date....

    Hi

    Before you paste the data, format the column as Text. Once you have done
    this, you can use Paste Special / Values.

    Hope this helps.
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to keep "text" number from changing to date....

    Julie

    When in the Text to Columns dialog there is an option under "Column data format"
    to choose "text".

    Try that on the columns with the 4-27 etc.

    Alternative...........Data>Import External Data>New Web Query.

    You will have the options to pick the data you want to import and

    Click on the Options button and checkmark Formatting>None Import
    blocks into columns and........... Disable Date Recognition.........

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP