[SOLVED] HOW TO VIEW SPECIFIC COLUMNS for A CALL LIST?

  1. #1
    la90292
    Guest

    [SOLVED] HOW TO VIEW SPECIFIC COLUMNS for A CALL LIST?

    I want to create a telephone call list from my customer list. I only want to
    view the records with the data in these columns only; CODE (A7), ACCOUNT
    (B7), BUYER (C7), ADDRESS (D7), CITY (E7), ST (F7), ZIP (G7), TEL (H8), FAX
    (J8), NOTES (M8). For instance, I do not need the EMAIL column on my call
    list.

    I would like new list with the columns as follows sorted by ST, CITY, ZIP,
    ACCOUNT:
    CODE, ACCOUNT, BUYER, TEL, ADDRESS, CITY, ST, ZIP, TEL, FAX, NOTES

    Is there a faster/better way to do this rather than cut and paste each time?

    Thanks,
    victor

  2. #2
    flummi
    Guest

    Re: HOW TO VIEW SPECIFIC COLUMNS for A CALL LIST?

    It seems that the best way is to use autofilter.

    Highlight the column headers (CODE, ACCOUNT etc) that you want to work
    on (Alternatively highlight all headers). Then select from the main
    menu data-->autofilter. That will display little arrows next to each
    header.

    If you click on such an arrow Excel pops up a little listbox with all
    the entries in that column (unique and sorted) plus a couple of extra
    options. One is "nonblanks". Choose that and Excel will only show lines
    where that column has an entries. If you continue to do that on other
    columns you constantly narrow down your selection because from the
    subset mentioned above it will only show the ones that meet the second
    selection etc. You can sort that selection by highlighting the lines
    displayed (by clicking on the row headers).

    If you want to display the full set again, the quickest way is to
    select the headers and select data-->autofilter which will turn off
    autofilter. You can then start all over as described above.

    Hans

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: HOW TO VIEW SPECIFIC COLUMNS for A CALL LIST?

    Hi

    One way
    Create another sheet. Assuming this data is on Sheet1, then on Sheet2

    A7=Sheet1!B7 B7=Sheet1!A7 C7=Sheet1!C7
    D7=Sheet1!H8 E7=Sheet1!D7 and so on
    Then, mark the range of data on Sheet 2 and Sort by Column H, then
    column G then Column I
    If you do put these in Row 7 (I only chose that as that was the row in
    Sheet1), put a series of headers in Row 6.
    Mark the range of row 6 and Data>Filter>Autofilter
    Use the dropdown to select any given Account, or any Zip etc.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: HOW TO VIEW SPECIFIC COLUMNS for A CALL LIST?

    Columns can be hidden by highliighting them and doing Right-click >
    Hide.......... Then, insert a new row as row 1, then number the rows in the
    order you wish them to be from left to right.......then you can sort
    Horizontally by doing Data > Sort > Options > and checking the Sort Left to
    Right option............then delete row 1 if desired............

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    la90292
    Guest

    Re: HOW TO VIEW SPECIFIC COLUMNS for A CALL LIST?

    Thanks for all the suggestions...genius!

    One more question, how do you unhide the columns that you hide?

    Thanks again!

    victor

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: HOW TO VIEW SPECIFIC COLUMNS for A CALL LIST?

    Highlight the columns either side of those that are hidden and click
    Format | Column | Unhide.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete