Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Preventing formulas being pasted over while editing

  1. #1
    pollyanna
    Guest

    Preventing formulas being pasted over while editing

    I am a semi experienced excel user however I find when entering data for
    monthly reports, I seem to be deleting formulas when editing data and
    therefore my spreadsheets don't calculate correctly. I have heard there is a
    button that I can turn on and off when editing worksheets that will protect
    my formulas. Where is that device and or how do I enter data so that I won't
    lose my formulas? Thanks

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Preventing formulas being pasted over while editing

    Presume you're talking about accidental overwrite of formula cells with
    manual inputs ? (A cell can only hold either a value or a formula at any one
    time)

    To minimize accidental overwrites of formula cells, we can apply sheet
    protection with data cells unlocked to allow inputs

    Try this:

    Select* the data input cells, say, select B2:B10
    Click Format > Cells > Protection tab > Uncheck "Locked" > OK
    Then click Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet > Enter password (optional) >
    OK

    *We can multi-select data cells by holding down the CTRL key while
    selecting, and unlock all at one go
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Preventing formulas being pasted over while editing

    In addition to turning on protection and for use when you have it
    turned off you could also color code input cells and calculated cells.
    Color Coding Cells for Usage (#colorcoding)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...tm#colorcoding

    Basically my suggestion is:
    white or pale color background for input areas
    formula results with another text and/or background color

    Conditional Formatting may add additional color to your mix.
    ---
    HTH,

    "Max" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Presume you're talking about accidental overwrite of formula cells with
    > manual inputs ? (A cell can only hold either a value or a formula at any one
    > time)
    >
    > To minimize accidental overwrites of formula cells, we can apply sheet
    > protection with data cells unlocked to allow inputs
    >
    > Try this:
    >
    > Select* the data input cells, say, select B2:B10
    > Click Format > Cells > Protection tab > Uncheck "Locked" > OK
    > Then click Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet > Enter password (optional) >
    > OK
    >
    > *We can multi-select data cells by holding down the CTRL key while
    > selecting, and unlock all at one go
    > --
    > Max
    > Singapore
    > http://savefile.com/projects/236895
    > xdemechanik
    > ---
    > "pollyanna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am a semi experienced excel user however I find when entering data for
    > > monthly reports, I seem to be deleting formulas when editing data and
    > > therefore my spreadsheets don't calculate correctly. I have heard there

    > is a
    > > button that I can turn on and off when editing worksheets that will

    > protect
    > > my formulas. Where is that device and or how do I enter data so that I

    > won't
    > > lose my formulas? Thanks

Closed Thread