Is there something like an "If, then" formula?

  1. #1
    ~working mom~
    Guest

    Is there something like an "If, then" formula?

    I am trying to set up a time card that I downloaded from the templates page
    on MS. I like the format of the one that I have, but this is what I want it
    to do:

    Currently it is set up to calculate time for the week as streight time, i.e.
    56.4 hours for the week.

    What I would like it to do is when the total number of hours reaches 40,
    then anything over that goes into another cell for the number of over-time
    hours.

    Is there a formula that anyone knows that I can use for this, or a function?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Is there something like an "If, then" formula?

    use a formula in the other cell of

    =MAX(total_time-40,0)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: Is there something like an "If, then" formula?

    The simplest way would be to add 2 columns, normal time and overtime. If
    straight time is in F2, then in say G2 enter =IF(F2<=40,F2,IF(F2>40,40,""))
    and in H2 enter =IF(F2="","",IF(F2<=40,0,F2-40))

  4. #4
    ~working mom~
    Guest

    Re: Is there something like an "If, then" formula?

    Thank you, that works for figuring the weekly overtime out. Do you know how
    to make the "total hours" cell stop at 40?

    So that I have Regular hours 40 and then in the other cell it show the
    number of OT hours? Right now it shows: regular hours 42.5 OT hours 2.5.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Is there something like an "If, then" formula?

    Yeah,

    =MAX(total_hours,40)

    but don't use the result of this in the overtime calculation <vbg>

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...