Simple Excel Formula Help

  1. #1

    Simple Excel Formula Help

    I have a simple inventory form with headings and a few simple formulas. The problem is this. One formula is the following =COUNTIF(C6:C625,"*") indicating Total Items for that column. The the problem is that if I look at the end of the actual column, the number is different. Right now the "formula" reads 578 Items, but if I look at the last item in the column, it says 580. It always reads 2 more items than actually exists.

  2. #2
    Gary''''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Simple Excel Formula Help

    Remember that * is a wild-card. Your formula will count the number of cells
    containing text between C6 and C625

    If you want to count * then use ~*
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Gary''''s Student

  4. #4
    I am aware of the wild, that is why I used it. My question was - why would it (the formula) add 2 more entries than actually exists ?

  5. #5
    I am aware of the wild card, that is why I used it. My question was - why would it (the formula) add 2 more entries than actually exists ?

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Simple Excel Formula Help

    You say the *formula* reads 2 *more* items than actually exist,
    BUT,
    You also say that the formula reads 578 ... where the list contains 580 (2
    *less*).

    So ... which is it?

    BTW, "*" will return text cells (alpha and numeric), and *also* nulls (zero
    length strings) that you could have returned from formulas in those polled
    cells (C6:C625), which, are of course, not visible.

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

    "robert145" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Simple Excel Formula Help

    To *exclude* nulls, try this:

    =COUNTIF(C6:C625,"*?")
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8

    The formula reads 578 but the actual list contains 580

    Sorry. The formula reads 578 but the actual list contains 580. The formula reads =COUNTIF(C6:C625,"*") I have the cell range set well in advance of the current count so if it were counting any blank cells, it would be showing the total of 625. Knowing that it isnt counting blank cells, its reporting 2 less than the actual count for some reason.

  9. #9
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Simple Excel Formula Help

    What's the chance that the uncounted data is *not* text?