Removing every other line

  1. #1
    Sawyer
    Guest

    Removing every other line

    Hello All
    I need a script to remove every other line in a excel document, starting at
    say line 10 and delete line 11,13,15 and so on is this something that can be
    done.
    Thanks for any help
    Scott

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Removing every other line

    Try this:

    Just one rule:
    Cells A9 through A11 must contain any kind of value

    A1: MyCriteria
    A2: =ISEVEN(ROW(A10))

    Data|Filter|Advanced Filter
    List Range: (select from A9 down as far as you need)
    Criteria Range: (Select A1:A2)
    Click the [OK] button

    The filter will only display even numbered rows under A9
    Select the filtered rows under A9

    Edit|Delete (Excel will only allow you to delete entire rows when a filter
    is engaged)

    Is that something you can work with?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    Sawyer
    Guest

    Re: Removing every other line

    Ok I think that just when a little over my head, what do you do with the A1:
    MyCriteria A2: =ISEVEN(ROW(A10)) where does this part go I think I got the
    rest of it ok.

    Thanks

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Removing every other line

    Another way, insert a new column A by selecting column A and do
    insert>columns, then in A10 put 1, select A10 and A11, right click the lower
    right corner of A11 and drag down as long as you want, when you release the
    right mouse button select copy cells. That would give you 1 in A10, blank in
    A11, 1 in A12, blank in A13 and so on, now select the range with 1s and
    blanks that you have created, press F5, click special and select blanks,
    click OK. Now do edit>delete and when prompted select entire row. Finish by
    deleting column A

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Removing every other line

    The method exploits a feature of Advanced Filters and eliminates the need to
    create helper columns and copy formulas through hundreds, or thousands, of
    cells.

    Here's the way the criteria section works:
    A1: MyCriteria
    A2: =ISEVEN(ROW(A10))

    Since we are using an formulaic criteria, we can't use column heading that
    matches anything in the data list. Hence: MyCriteria

    The =ISEVEN(ROW(A10)) formula is located in cell A2, but refers to the first
    row of data. When the Advanced Filter runs it sequentially applies that
    formula to each cell in column a, beginning in A10.....then it internally
    applies it to A11, A12, etc.
    For A10 the formula returns TRUE (so the row is shown).
    For A11 the formula returns FALSE (so the row is hidden).
    etc....to the end of the data list

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  6. #6
    Patricia Shannon
    Guest

    Re: Removing every other line

    That filter stuff is neat. I need to find out more about it.
    What I would have done is write a macro to start at the bottom, and worked
    up, deleting and shifting rows.

  7. #7
    Patricia Shannon
    Guest

    Re: Removing every other line

    That filter stuff is great. Just what I had been looking for just this
    morning, to temporarily remove a bunch of rows that contain blanks in a
    certain column. Now I can get a lot more of the rows I'm looking at on the
    screen and don't have to be paging down constantly! You guys are wonderful!