remain constant in a copy & paste

  1. #1
    Viviank
    Guest

    remain constant in a copy & paste

    I want to set up a column of numbers
    at the bottom I want to show a total of the numbers
    in column b I want to show what % column a is of the total
    That's easy enough, but when I copy and paste the total tries to move down a
    row skewing my calculations.

    In other words in the formula in cell b1 =a1/sum(a1:a10)
    when I copy and paste it to cell b2 it becomes =a2/sum(a2:a11)
    and I want the sum portion to remain constant
    - in other words =a2/sum(a1:a10)

    Please help.

    Thank you

    Vivian

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,480
    =A1/SUM($A$1:$A$10)
    =A2/SUM($A$1:$A$10)

    You need absolute value, when you select the range press F4

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: remain constant in a copy & paste

    > =A1/SUM($A$1:$A$10)

    and with the above entered in B1,
    to copy B1 down, we could simply drag the fill handle
    (i.e. the "black square" at the bottom right-hand corner of cell B1)
    instead of:

    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4
    Viviank
    Guest

    Re: remain constant in a copy & paste

    Thanks a lot. That was the help I needed.

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: remain constant in a copy & paste

    You're welcome, Viviank !
    Thanks for feeding back ..
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    http://savefile.com/projects/236895
    xdemechanik
    ---
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: remain constant in a copy & paste

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:19:23 +0800, "Max" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >You're welcome, Viviank !
    >Thanks for feeding back ..

    of course, you have already calculate the sum
    so b1 = a1/$a$11
    and then drag b1 down to b10
    would save 10 extra calculations

    --