Extensive Workbook Creation

  1. #1
    Anshin
    Guest

    Extensive Workbook Creation

    I need to create a new workbook to track what will amount to up to 7 phases
    of development for about 300 deliverables. My boss wants to be able to look
    at this master list and see the history, by date...and misc. comments, of the
    development of each Deliverable. Lastly, he wants a SUMMARY WORKSHEET where
    you can click and extract data from the Workbook. Further brief instructions
    include:

    1) Each PHASE should be a new tab/worksheet
    2) Each Delverable should have a unique identifier (D100, D101, D102)
    3) Each ROW should be a description/title of each DELIVERABLE
    4) Each COLUMN should be stages of each PHASE (Pre-review, assigned,
    completed)
    5) Dates corresponding to stages of each PHASE for each Deliverable should
    go left to right as we well as history/life cycle of each Deliverable
    6) "Completed" stage/column should have a drop down box to click on "yes" or
    "no"

    Any advice on how to design this is helpful. Plus, drop down box, summary
    page to extract info (hyperlink?) etc.

  2. #2
    Forum Guru
    Los Angeles, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    WinXP/MSO2007;Win10/MSO2016
    Posts
    12,617
    Actually, this sounds like a job for an application like MS Project, not Excel

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Extensive Workbook Creation

    You seem to be constrained to do it exactly like the Boss stated. And you
    have pretty much described exactly how you are going to do it. Not sure
    what you want from us, except maybe to tell you that the way you described
    is not the way I think I would do it. I would prefer a single master
    database with added "Stage" and "Phase" columns. Then, on demand, each
    "Phase" sheet could be prepared with the AutoFilter and examined or printed
    out....the same with the "Summary" sheet, for whatever data it might
    contain.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...