how to distinguish between text cells?

  1. #1
    phaidon
    Guest

    how to distinguish between text cells?

    I have four cells with the following texts
    A1= abcdef
    A2= abcdef
    A3= xyzdef
    A4= xyzdef

    now I want to have an If formula in B1 that can disginguish if the cell A1
    is starting with abc or xyz or something else ( and the same at B2 for A2 and
    so on)
    So basically I need a formula that can just read the beginning characters of
    text in a cell.

    I think the formula in B1 should be like if( the beginnig 3 charecters of
    A1=abc,True,False).

    I dont want to divide the text in the cells. Is that possible?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bondi
    Guest

    Re: how to distinguish between text cells?

    Hi

    =IF(LEFT(A1,3)="ABC","True","False")

    Regards,
    Bondi

  3. #3
    phaidon
    Guest

    Re: how to distinguish between text cells?

    Great Thnx