if.... Anyway around this?

  1. #1
    Guest

    if.... Anyway around this?

    I'm new to this. I need to drop a value into a cell where there is nothing.
    The 'target' cell should not have a formula because some days I would need
    to place a one time value there , doing so would wipe out the formula.

    Example:

    A1 B1 C1
    BOB JOE =IF(A1="bob",A2=B1)

    A2
    (BLANK)

    I need the blank cell (A2) to take the value of B1 if C1 is true.
    Maybe I have the syntax wrong, maybe it's not possible. Let me know.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: if.... Anyway around this?

    In C1, enter
    =A1="bob"

    In A2, enter
    =IF(C1, B1, "")

    or leave C1 empty and enter in A2
    =IF(A1="bob", B1, "")

    You cannot write a function in cell C1 that will place a value in A2.
    Functions return values, they don't manipulate other objects (at least not
    when called from a worksheet).

  3. #3

    Re: if.... Anyway around this?

    Hi

    This may get you started:

    Right-click on the sheet tab and select View Code.

    Paste this code:

    If Target <> Range("A1") Then Exit Sub
    If Range("A1").Value = "bob" Then
    Range("A2").Value = Range("B1").Value

    The code only runs if cell A1 has been changed and only checks to see
    if "bob" has been entered in that cell, if it has then if copies the
    data in B1 to A2.

    Regards

    Steve