Formula Refgerence

  1. #1
    fak119
    Guest

    Formula Refgerence

    I want to use a formula in a cell (fixed) that contains a cell as reference
    which in turn is subject to "move" by sorting.
    Is this possible?

  2. #2

    Absolute or don't sort the formula

    I don't fully understand your question, but you may want an absolute reference (e.g. Change =A1 to be =$A$1 which means the formula never changes when moved/copied), or don't sort the column containing the formulas.
    Clive

  3. #3
    fak119
    Guest

    Re: Formula Refgerence

    The column containing the formula in let´s say A1, HAS do be moved (sorted),
    but the formula in cell Q8 should always refer to the value that was
    formerly in cell A1 and might now be in A5. This row 1 is part of a table
    that gets sorted. The line, that contains the value (in row 1) to be used in
    cell Q8 contains some fixed text, that never changes. Might this help?
    (Something similar as "COUNTIF")

    There are other

    Thank you

    Felix

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Formula Refgerence

    If you are just generating a table to be sorted for reports you could make
    a copy of your worksheet to sheet2 then convert sheet2 to values,
    do you sort on sheet2 and your report from sheet2. You would only
    update sheet1 and report from sheet2 after preparing it from sheet1.

    ---
    HTH,