Filter data based on multiple columns

  1. #1

    Filter data based on multiple columns

    I would like to see the unique values from column A, where Column B is
    a max() for that value in A. For example, in Column A there are
    several 1's, I would like to see the max of column B, where column A is
    a 1, and the same thing repeated for all the other unique values in
    column A.

    INPUT:

    A B
    1 07/22/05
    1 08/26/05
    1 10/11/05
    2 11/04/05
    2 01/04/06
    2 07/22/05
    3 08/26/05
    4 10/11/05
    4 11/04/05

    The output I'm looking for would look like this:

    A B
    1 10/11/05
    2 01/04/06
    3 08/26/05
    4 11/04/05

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Filter data based on multiple columns

    Try a Pivot Table:

    First, make sure your table has column headings
    (exampe: A1: MyNumber, B1: MyDate)

    <Data><Pivot Table>
    Use: Excel
    Select your data range
    Click the [Layout] button

    ROW: Drag the MyNumber field here
    DATA: Drag the MyDate field here
    Dbl-click it and set it to Max
    Click [OK]
    Select where you want the Pivot Table...and you're done!

    That will list each MyNumber and the Max of dates for each MyNumber.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3

    Re: Filter data based on multiple columns

    Yea, that worked, but now here's the next problem...I have about 20
    columns after the first two columns, that I will also need to display
    for that combination of column A&B. How can I do this with a
    pivottable?

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Filter data based on multiple columns

    See if this array formula* approach works for you:

    Assumptions:
    Your data table is in A1:V10
    >>MyNumber, MyDate, MyField_1, MyField_2.....MyField_20

    Your pivot table begins in cell A20 and extends through B?? (depending on
    returned values)

    So...A20: Max of MyNumber
    A21: MyNumber
    B21: Total

    C21: MyField_1
    C22:
    =INDEX($C$1:$C$10,MATCH($A22&"_"&TEXT($B22,"yyyymmdd"),$A$1:$A$10&"_"&TEXT($B$1:$B$10,"yyyymmdd"),0))

    Copy from C22 to C23 and down as far as needed
    Copy the Col_C formulas to Col_D and as far to the right as needed

    *Note: For array formulas, hold down [Ctrl] and [Shift] when you press
    [Enter].

    Those formulas return the data associated with each unique MyNumber and the
    corresponding Max of MyDate for that MyNumber.

    Sample returned values (with my test data):
    Max of MyDate
    MyNumber_____Total____Field_1__Field_2_____Field_3
    1_________10/11/05_c101_______c101_______c101
    2_________01/04/06_c10001_____c10001_____c10001
    3_________08/26/05_c1000001___c1000001___c1000001
    4_________11/04/05_c100000001_c100000001_c100000001

    Is that something you can work with?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  5. #5

    Re: Filter data based on multiple columns

    Thanks, that worked perfectly. I ended up adding in a dynamic named
    range for my pivottable, then hid the sheet where the table resides. I
    added a macro for the end user to update the pivottable, without them
    needing to know that it was even there. For the arrays, I added a
    dynamic named range for each of my columns, so that they would update
    accordingly when new rows are added.