excel formula

  1. #1
    las
    Guest

    excel formula

    if I have a formula that reads:

    =IF(D22="no",0,IF(D22="yes",F16))

    How combine it whith this formula so that both will happen at the same time:

    =IF(B10*0.05<D10,B10*0.05,D10)

    thanks for any help
    las

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: excel formula

    Please elaborate
    D22 Yes No
    B10*0.05 <D10 case a case b
    =>D10 case c case d
    Tell us what is to happen in each case
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    kassie
    Guest

    RE: excel formula

    You cannot combine the two, since they give totally unrelated results. The
    first givres either an "0" or the value of F16, the other either B10*0.05 or
    D10. As such, they should be in seperate cells?

  4. #4
    las
    Guest

    Re: excel formula

    What I am trying to have happen is create formula for a refund policy. I
    want to be able to say if d22 =yes than calculate the fee from the other
    formula and if d22 =no than they are not charged a fee and get a full refund.

    does this help at all?

  5. #5
    kassie
    Guest

    Re: excel formula

    =IF(D22="Yes",IF(B10*0.05<D10,B10*0.05,D10),IF(D22="No",0,"")) should do the
    trick

  6. #6
    las
    Guest

    Re: excel formula

    thank you so much this seems to have done the trick

    las

  7. #7
    las
    Guest

    Re: excel formula

    Kassie

    not to sound silly because the formula works but what does the double
    quotation mark stand for in the formula?

    Thanks
    las

  8. #8
    las,

    That just means that you want to keep the cell blank if none of the previous conditions in the formula are true. The way the IF function works is:

    IF(condition to test,what to write if true,what to write if false)

    For example:

    IF(4>2,"YES","NO")

    Hope this helps.

    Bruce

  9. #9
    John
    Guest

    Re: excel formula

    las wrote:

    > What I am trying to have happen is create formula for a refund policy. I
    > want to be able to say if d22 =yes than calculate the fee from the other
    > formula and if d22 =no than they are not charged a fee and get a full refund.
    >
    > does this help at all?
    >
    > "Bernard Liengme" wrote:

    In old basic which is easier to read and keep track of than excel-ese IMHO.

    Select Case d22
    Case "Yes":
    (You fill in here what happens if d22 is yes)
    Case "No":
    (You Fill in here what happens if it's no)
    Case Else:
    (You fill in here what to do if it's neither)
    END Select

    JOhn