count cells with year sets in a column?

  1. #1
    Brainless_in_Boston
    Guest

    count cells with year sets in a column?

    Here's my problem - I ahe a short column of dates, different dates sorted
    ascending from 2000 to 2006. Different dates. I am seeking (in vain so far) a
    formula that will count the dates by last 4 digits, i.e. "2001" and give me
    the count.

    I tried a bunch of stuff so far with no effing luck. Like:

    =COUNTIF(D2:D271,"*2001")
    =SUMPRODUCT(D1:D271)="*2002" result: FALSE

    In the past, I found out (after much research & wastage of temporal
    resources) that Excel just won't do some stuff, and I suspect this is one of
    those things.

    Any suggestions? If you can answer this, I bow to your impressive knowledge!

    Mark
    aka Brainless (from working on worksheets too much)

  2. #2
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: count cells with year sets in a column?

    Try

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(D1:D271)=2006))

    Sandy

    [email protected]
    [email protected] with @tiscali.co.uk

    "Brainless_in_Boston" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Brainless_in_Boston
    Guest

    Re: count cells with year sets in a column?

    Danged if you ain't rite!
    My hats off to ya!
    Yee-ha!

    BTW, I know I can use COUNTA & eyeball it, but for bigger applications that
    just is too tedious...

    Thanks for your help - very much...

    Mark

    ==============================

  4. #4
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: count cells with year sets in a column?

    The problem with searching for 2001 in a date is that it does not exist! In
    Excel a date is a just number, for example today is 38841 - it is a count of
    the number of days since the start of 1900 - well almost, it would have
    been that if 1900 had been a leap year but that's another story. Enter
    today's date in a cell and then re-format it as General and you will see.
    You therefore have to use the YEAR() function to create the number 2006 from
    the *Date* number and use that number.

    --
    Regards