How do I get a true calculation?

  1. #1
    reckyroo
    Guest

    How do I get a true calculation?

    Hi. I think I have just posted this question, but I can't find it now, so my
    apologies.....
    I need to start at number 1 and multiply it by 2 - then multiply that answer
    by 2, then multiply that answer by 2 and carry on until I have done that 480
    times!!
    when I try to do this in excel, I either get the answer 4.72237E+21 (which
    means nothing to me) or £4,722,366,482,869,650,000,000.0 which isn't a true
    calculation as I have worked it out up to a point, but I dont have enough
    spaces on my calculator. Bearing in mind that I have not used excel since I
    last worked (about 3 years ago), answers as simple as possible please.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How do I get a true calculation?

    So what you require is 2 to the power of 479 or 480?
    Your result is 2^408, not 2^480.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How do I get a true calculation?

    Sorry, little mistake, your result is 2^72.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  4. #4

    "reckyroo" wrote:
    > I need to start at number 1 and multiply it by 2 - then
    > multiply that answer by 2, then multiply that answer by
    > 2 and carry on until I have done that 480 times!!

    That can be written =2^480 in Excel, which reads "2 to the
    power of 480".

    > when I try to do this in excel, I either get the answer
    > 4.72237E+21 (which means nothing to me)

    It means "4.72237 times 10 to the 21" -- that is, 472237
    followed by 16 zeros. It is called scientific notation. If you
    change the format to Number (Format > Cells > Number >
    Number, you will see something closer to what you expect.

    But that is 4.72237E+21 2^72, not 2^480. 2^480 is closer
    to 3.1217E+144.

    > or £4,722,366,482,869,650,000,000.0 which isn't a true
    > calculation as I have worked it out up to a point, but I dont
    > have enough spaces on my calculator.

    And just like your calculator, Excel -- and all computational
    devices -- have a limit to the "space" in which they can
    represent a number. Some calculators simply give up beyond
    that. Excel does its best by showing numbers in scientific
    notation, by default. But even if you use the Number format,
    only the first 15 non-zero digits are accurate, more or less.
    (The 15th digit might be rounded.)

    > answers as simple as possible please.

    Hope that's simple enough.

    And to answer your question ("how do I get a true calculation"),
    there are multiprecision arithmetic add-ins that claim to have
    more accuracy. I have not personal experience with any of them.