VLOOKUP and Multi Lists

  1. #1
    dpatte601
    Guest

    VLOOKUP and Multi Lists

    Subject: VLOOKUP and Multi Lists

    need help with this dropdown multi list with vlookup.
    B1 is the dropdown list (on sheet named Data) that holds 4 lists (ad,
    el, mr, sz) this are lists that hold the codes for group names (TB =The
    Beatles BD= Bob Dylan..so on) each list has different number of rows.
    I have Colum A on the Main sheet linked to the Above drop down, so that
    if AD is selected in B1 then in A5 the dropdown list is AD and if B1 is
    MR then A5 drop down is changed to MR. this part works good. Now the
    problem,

    I want colum C to show the Group name depending on what colum A has in
    it.(I have the List setup and can get it to work (sort of) I have 2 ways
    to do this now. The first works but only if the formula is changed to
    match the colum A selection. This takes 4 different formulas

    1. =VLOOKUP(A5,ad:Data!E2,5,FALSE)
    2. =VLOOKUP(A5,el:Data!F2,5,FALSE)
    3. =VLOOKUP(A5,mr:Data!G2,5,FALSE)
    4. =VLOOKUP(A5,sz:Data!H2,5,FALSE)

    but it is to much work to put in different formulas if 1 would do the
    trick.So I changed it to look like this:

    1. =IF($B$1="ad",(VLOOKUP(A5,ad:Data!E2,5,FALSE)),IF($B$1="el",VLOOKUP
    (A5,el:Data!F2,5,FALSE)))

    2. =IF($B$1="mr",(VLOOKUP(A5,mr:Data!G2,5,FALSE)),IF($B$1="sz",VLOOKUP
    (A5,sz:Data!H2,5,FALSE)))

    now it takes 2 to do this the best I could do was have 3 lists in 1 of
    the above formulas (I can always change the lists to be 3 insted of 4
    so this is not the issue) Heres the problem:

    If A6 is TB then C6 is The Beatles.
    but if I change the List in B1 to say EL so I can select EP in A7 so
    Elvis Prestly shows up in C7 : then the Text in C6 changes to false.

    What I am looking for is what can I do to keep the last selection from
    changing every time I add new selection in a cell.

  2. #2
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP and Multi Lists

    Hi,

    I don't know if I have understood correctly, but I have faced similar
    situations and this an approach that worked for me:
    1. Name the ranges where the list values are, including all the rows and
    columns that will be searched using VLOOKUP (can be the same as you have now,
    TB, EL, SZ, MR)
    2. In the cell $B$1, or wherever you are selecting the code, make the
    dropdown with the names that you have created in point 1
    3. Use the INDIRECT in the VLOOKUP formula, something like this:
    =VLOOKUP(A5,INDIRECT($B$1),5,FALSE)
    The formula will search the named range that is represented in that cell.

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.

  3. #3
    dpatte601
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP and Multi Lists

    Here is the worksheet , Maybe you can understand what i want if you see it
    at work
    http://www.savefile.com/files/8153879

  4. #4
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP and Multi Lists

    I have looked at it, and the approach I proposed earlier wouldn't work here,
    you are right.
    My proposal for the note in B15 is changing the formulas in C15:C18, to
    avoid checking for the value in B1, but directly for the ranges. Something
    like:
    C15:
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A15,week1:Data!E1,5,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(A15,el:Data!F15,5,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A15,week1:Data!E1,5,FALSE))
    C16:
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A16,week1:Data!E2,5,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(A16,el:Data!F16,5,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A16,week1:Data!E2,5,FALSE))
    C17:
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A17,mr:Data!G17,5,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(A17,sz:Data!H12,5,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A17,mr:Data!G17,5,FALSE))
    C18:
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A18,mr:Data!G18,5,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(A18,sz:Data!H13,5,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A18,mr:Data!G18,5,FALSE))

    The formulas in C15 and C16 look for data in the "ad" and "el" options, and
    C17 and C18 look for "mr" and "sz". They are not directly related to B1, so
    I don't know if this will be a valid solution for you.

    Miguel.

  5. #5
    dpatte601
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP and Multi Lists

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVsIFphcGljbw==?=
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A16,week1:Data!E2,5,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(A16,el:Data!F16,5,
    > FALSE),VLOOKUP(A16,week1:Data!E2,5,FALSE))

    this may work (with some work) but still if I change A15 so it now lists MR
    then the #N/A comes up I need it to change as I select different lists in
    B1.
    You see this is the mainpage of the data base that has other pages (not
    listed) that hold the CD names and band info. such as Name ,CD number, Type
    of Music. there are 4 pages 1 is AD (from A to D) then there is E to L , M
    to R , and S to Z.
    What I need is a formula that can always hold the last B1 selection in the
    cells even if B1 changes.
    this formula
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A16,week1:Data!E2,5,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(A16,el:Data!
    F16,5,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A16,week1:Data!E2,5,FALSE))
    needs to incorporate MR and SZ as well as AD and EL
    Hope this help you understand what Im looking for.
    thanks

  6. #6
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP and Multi Lists

    Thanks for the explanation of the codes, with that, maybe this formula will
    do what you need:
    =IF(LEFT(A15,1)<"E",VLOOKUP(A15,week1:Data!E1,5,FALSE),IF(LEFT(A15,1)<"M",VLOOKUP(A15,el:Data!F1,5,FALSE),IF(LEFT(A15,1)<"S",VLOOKUP(A15,mr:Data!G1,5,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A15,sz:Data!H1,5,FALSE))))
    It checks the first letter of A15 to pick the correct list to search, and it
    covers the four possibilities. Is this it?

    Miguel.

  7. #7
    dpatte601
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP and Multi Lists

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVsIFphcGljbw==?=
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > =IF(LEFT(A15,1)<"E",VLOOKUP(A15,week1:Data!E1,5,FALSE),IF(LEFT(A15,1)<"
    > M",VLOOKUP(A15,el:Data!F1,5,FALSE),IF(LEFT(A15,1)<"S",VLOOKUP(A15,mr:Da
    > ta!G1,5,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A15,sz:Data!H1,5,FALSE))))

    this was perfect - your great it worked the way I wanted it to. Many thanks