Converting weight

  1. #1
    Mark Allison
    Guest

    Converting weight

    Hi there,

    I have a spreadsheet and I want to have four columns:
    A - kilogram
    B - stone
    C - pounds
    D - total pounds

    I want to be able to enter data in any of the columns (B,C count as one
    because someone could weigh 11stone 4lb for example) and have the other
    columns automatically update.

    I've managed to do this if someone enters their weight in stone and
    pounds, but I have no idea how it would be achieved if I entered data in
    any one of the columns.

    Ideas? Can I use some kind of IF statement?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Converting weight

    You will have to enter the data into a different column and also
    indicate the units you are entering, as you can't have both a formula
    and a value in a cell.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Converting weight

    Hi Mark
    Assuming that there will either be an input in column A, or B &C and
    that you have your headers in row 1,
    then in D2 enter
    =IF(A2>0,CONVERT(A2*1000,"g","lbm"),B2*14+C2)

    If you also wanted a Kilo entry to not only show total pounds, but Stone
    and pounds, or stone and pound entries to be shown as kilos, then mirror
    your headings in columns E to G
    E - Stone
    F - Pounds
    G - Kilos
    In cell E2 enter
    =IF(A2>0,INT(D2/14),"")
    in F2 enter
    =IF(A2>0,MOD(D2,14),"")
    in G2 enter
    =IF(A2=0,D2/2.205,"")

    Format cells to required number of decimal places and copy down as far
    as required.
    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier