References...

  1. #1
    fak119
    Guest

    References...

    I have one column with names and nationalities, the latter as an abbreviation
    such as “(USA)”

    In a separate list I have to sum the different nationalities. Somewhat like
    this.

    Col. A

    Miller (USA)
    Forget (FRA)
    Smith (GBR
    Schmidt (GER)
    Stone (USA)
    Meier (GER)
    …

    (The names in this col. A may be typed in the cells or come from a formula)

    The List in say, col. Q and R, should the look like this:

    France 1
    Germany 2
    Great Britain 1
    USA 2

    The column in Q with the country names exists already and the two columns
    (Q:R) should be able to be sorted.

    Is there a formula (or macro) that can do the trick?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: References...

    Hi Fak

    one way is create a column with the abbreviation in your spreadsheet,
    between the Q ans R cols.

    so it will be

    Q R S

    France (FRA) 1
    Germany (GER) 2
    Gran Britain (GBE) 1
    USA (USA) 2

    on the S column use the formula

    =sumproduct(--(rigth($A$5:$A$100;5)=R5))

    Hope it helps - thanks for the feedback
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

    the formula on the

  3. #3
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: References...

    Column Q1 thru Q4 should contain the abbreviated country (FRA, GBR, ...)
    In colum R1, enter formula:
    =COUNTIF(A:A,"*("&Q1&")")

    AP

    "fak119" <[email protected]> a ιcrit dans le message de news:
    [email protected]...