Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Filling In Every Blank

  1. #1
    Rebecca
    Guest

    Filling In Every Blank

    Greetings. I am using Excel 2007 (beta), and I can't find this information
    by myself, so I am asking the experts in this discussion group for help.
    Could you please tell me how I can fill in all the empty blanks in an empty
    column with a period ( a ".")? The entire column, to repeat, is completely
    empty. And because I am a new user, could you please explain the procedure in
    easy English, step-by-step? Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Filling In Every Blank

    You do realize that an entire column in xl2007 has one million rows?
    Select the cells, press the "." key, hold down the C'trl key and press the
    Enter key. That works in the earlier versions, of course MS may have
    "improved" things.
    --
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Filling In Every Blank

    Kind of an odd thing to do, but....here goes:

    If the entire column is blank,
    Select the entire column (click on the column heading to do that)
    Type a period
    Hold down the [ctrl] key and press [enter]

    That will fill the column with periods (.)

    OR
    If there are some cells with values and you want periods in the blank cells,
    Select the entire column (same way as above)

    From the Excel main menu:
    <edit><goto>
    Click the [special cells] button
    Check: Blanks
    Click the [OK] button (that will select the blanks)
    Type a period
    Hold down the [ctrl] key and press [enter]

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Filling In Every Blank

    It was pretty fast, at least as fast as filling 65536 cells in previous
    versions

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Filling In Every Blank

    I wasn't even sure that xl2007 had column headings.
    With 1mm rows there has to be tradeoffs.
    As somebody once said...
    "Never be first with the newest or last with the oldest."

    Regards,
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA
    http://www.officeletter.com/blink/specialsort.html