creating dates "database" in-a-row

  1. #1

    creating dates "database" in-a-row

    Hi again.

    let say i have 3 columns:

    year month day
    2006 06 23

    i want to concatenate them to a new cell, same row to one date: 23-06-2006.
    That i know how to do.

    BUT

    I want that every time i enter in the same 3 cells, same row, a different date, it will add a new cell near the old concatenate cell. meaning:

    first date" 23-06-2006". punching new date inthe same cells,

    "23-06-2006" "25-07-2006"
    and so on.

    help

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: creating dates "database" in-a-row

    Try this event in the Sheet module

    > year month day
    > 2006 06 23

    I use col A,B,C

    Dim rng As Range
    If Target.Column < 4 Then
    Set rng = Range("IV" & Target.Row).End(xlToLeft).Offset(0, 1)
    If rng.Column < 4 Then Exit Sub
    rng.Value = DateSerial(Cells(Target.Row, 1), Cells(Target.Row, 2), Cells(Target.Row, 3))

    Regards Ron De Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    dosen't work

    Thanx for the reply,

    when i type in 3 col the first time, it does add a new cell, but filld with #######

    when i re-type the same cells, for EACH cell it adds a cell, meaning 3 new cells instead of one, again filled with #########

  4. #4
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: creating dates "database" in-a-row

    Your column is to small

  5. #5
    Im sorry, but im a VBA Dummy.
    what do you mean?

    i tried entering 22222, but it givers a runtime error.

    NM the above, i understood the column width, but still for every change i make the 2nd time, it creates a new cell (it dosent let me input a whole new date before creating the new cell, thus creating a new cell for every change in any of the 3 col)
    ?
    Last edited by yadaaa; 06-09-2006 at 03:27 AM.

  6. #6
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: creating dates "database" in-a-row

    Make your colums width bigger then you see the date

    But now every time you change one of the cells in A,B,C it create a new date
    Is this what you want ?

    Why not add a button that run a macro when you are satisfied with the input of A,B and C

  7. #7

    ok

    Thank you very much Ron,

    yes, i need to enter the whole 3 cells every time, before it creates a new cell.
    would it be to much to ask for the method of creating this button? that would concatanate to a new cell each time in the same row.

    TIA

  8. #8
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: creating dates "database" in-a-row

    > would it be to much to ask for the method of creating this button

    No problem

    Insert a button from the Forms toolbar and assign this macro to it
    Note: it insert the date in the row of the activecell and I use a sheet with the name "Sheet1"

    I format the date like this "dd-mmm-yyyy" but you can change that

    There is no error checking in this example, if you need help with that post back

    Sub test()
    Dim rng As Range
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
    Set rng = .Range("IV" & ActiveCell.Row).End(xlToLeft).Offset(0, 1)
    rng.Value = Format(DateSerial(.Cells(ActiveCell.Row, 1), .Cells(ActiveCell.Row, 2), _
    .Cells(ActiveCell.Row, 3)), "dd-mmm-yyyy")
    End With

  9. #9

    Great!

    It works just fine

    how can i make the button "float" (not move when scrolling)
    can the dates be in text format and not date format? i need to use autofilter on them, so i need it to be text.

  10. #10
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: creating dates "database" in-a-row

    Oops I not use Reply All but Reply in OE

    Move the button To A1 for example
    Select A4 and use Window>Freeze Panes

    You can also use Autofilter with real dates???
    See also EasyFilter
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm