Another Filtering Question for Excel 2007 Experts

  1. #1
    Rebecca
    Guest

    Another Filtering Question for Excel 2007 Experts

    Greetings. I'm using Excel 2007 (beta), and it's a peach, to say the least.
    I asked a question about filtering a few hours ago that was skillfully
    answered (thanks, Roger). This time I have another question, but one that
    only people using Excel 2007 (beta) can answer.

    When I do a filter by righting clicking my mouse in an individual cell,
    selecting "Filter" and then "Filter by Selected Cell's Value," the filtered
    list appears, of course. At the top of the list will appear an icon,
    indicating that this is a filtered list. I then do this again on another
    individual cell elsewhere in this filtered list, and another shorter list
    appears, which is a subfilter of the first filter. This is just the feature
    I need -- filters -- subfilters -- even sub-subfilters!

    When I want to remove this sub-filter, I can click on the icon (located at
    the top of the subfiltered list column), but then I have to select "Clear
    Filter from ..." from the choices in the box that opens. It would be nice if
    there were shortcut keys for such filtering and unfiltering, but I can't seem
    to find them anywhere. Also, it would be nice if this feature (clearning the
    subfilter) could be placed somewhere on the ribbon as an icon. I realize
    there is an icon on the ribbon that clears filters, but it clears all
    filters, whereas I only want to clear the most recent subfilter and return to
    the first or previous filter. Do any Excel 2007 users out there know how
    this can be done, either by a shortcut key or by customizing the ribbon with
    a "clear subfilter" icon?

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Another Filtering Question for Excel 2007 Experts

    Rebecca

    I don't know of anyway this can be done using the ribbon, certainly I only
    see a 'clear all filters' option.

    Bear in mind if these are the last actions you have taken Ctrl+Z will undo
    it, ie, back them off...undo also works after a save now in XL2007.

    As you have pointed out the 'floatie' does have the option to remove
    specific column filters...is that not convenient enough?

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rebecca
    Guest

    Re: Another Filtering Question for Excel 2007 Experts

    Nick,

    Well, it would be nice if I could put a "remove (sub)filter icon" somewhere
    up on the ribbon. It would save a few mouse clicks. We are getting spoiled,
    I guess. By the way, if I filtered a cell, did something in another cell
    (filled in a blank, for example), using Ctrl+Z would not work, right, because
    they I would be erasing what I just put in the blank, which would negate the
    whole purpose of this particular filtering in the first place?