Find and replace

  1. #1

    Find and replace

    I have a table with 6 columns, A to F. Column A contains unique item numbers. Column B contains descriptions of those items. Columns C-F contain a random listing of the numbers from column A.

    I want to replace the random listings of items in C-F with the descriptions of the items from column B.

    There are 1300 items. Can I do this without running 1300 Find and Replaces?

    I would be happy with four new columns added that have the descriptions for the random items in C-F in the same order (not exactly a replace).

    Thanks!

    Al

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Assuming that you have 100 different items (number in A and description in B) A1:B100

    use a vlookup in G1

    =VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$100,2)

    and just drag and fill to the same area size as C1:F??
    Google is your best friend!

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Then you can just copy the G1:J? range, and paste special (Values) over C:F

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Find and replace

    Answered in .misc newsgroup...........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    Tim M
    Guest

    RE: Find and replace

    =VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$1300,2,FALSE)

    See if this formula helps. you could put this in G1 and then copy it down
    and across.
    It should look at what is in C1 (which should be one of your random number
    codes), then it will look at all of A1 to B1300 and find the number code
    match and display the 2nd column over (which is the description). Test it
    out and see if it works for you.