linking workbooks:sense

  1. #1
    Scottsdale, Az

    linking workbooks:sense

    I am new to Excel and am trying to link 2 workbooks and copy information from the source workbook to the destination workbook. I have have both workbook open. I can't get the data from the source workbook to the destination workbook. When I have both workbooks open and look under the Window tab I only see the wookbook that I am in. Am I supposed to see both the open workbooks?

    I need to expand on my problem. I have two workbooks open at the same time, I am trying to link them together. I want copy data from one workbook to the other by linking them. When I go to the destination workbook and open the Window tab on the Menu Bar, I only see the destination file listed at the bottom. If I have both workbooks open shouldn't I see both the "source" workbook and the "destination" workbook listed at the bottom of the Window tab? That way I can highlight the source file to get the information I want to bring into the destination file.

    I can do this within a single workbook from sheet to sheet with no problem.
    Last edited by twilcox; 06-15-2006 at 06:01 PM.

  2. #2
    kassie
    Guest

    re: linking workbooks:sense

    Do you want to link the two workbooks, or do you want to view both? If you
    want to extract info from one to the other, you use formulae. If you want to
    copy and paste, you can display the two next to each other, by reducing the
    size of each sheet, so the 2 can fit next to each other.

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    re: linking workbooks:sense

    "kassie" wrote:
    > .. you can display the two next to each other, by reducing the
    > size of each sheet, so the 2 can fit next to each other.

    If both workbooks are open,
    think we could quickly auto-tile it on-screen via:
    Click Window > Arrange > Tiled (or Horizontal) > OK
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4