number range returning a text value

  1. #1
    jason
    Guest

    number range returning a text value

    Hi,

    I would like to be able to return a specific text when a number is added to
    a column. For example, if a number is inputted and it falls within the range
    "1-5", then the text field "low" is returned. If however "6" is inputted, the
    result would give the text "Medium", and if "10" is inputted, the returning
    text field is "High"

    Thanks for any help

  2. #2
    George Gee
    Guest

    Re: number range returning a text value

    Jason

    Try: =IF(A1<6,"Low",IF(A1>9,"High","Medium"))

    George Gee

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: number range returning a text value

    Try this.........

    =LOOKUP(A1,{1,6,10},{"low","medium","high"})

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    kassie
    Guest

    RE: number range returning a text value

    Create a lookup table, containing the possible values and there respective
    Medium or High or whatever else., Name this range something like Criterion.
    Where you want the result to display, enter the following formula:
    =VLOOKUP(<cell ref of the cell containing the value, eg
    A3>,Criterion,2,FALSE). That will give you the correct result every time.