Opening workbook at sheet required.

  1. #1
    DB.
    Guest

    Opening workbook at sheet required.

    I've a 3-sheet workbook that always opens at Sheet 2 - I want it to open
    at Sheet 1.
    I know that the standard answer here is "The workbook opens at the sheet
    on screen when the file was last saved" but in this case it doesn't! How
    can I get it to work in the proper way, please?

    Another problem with this Sheet 2 (but not Sheets 1 & 3).
    I've only about 34 rows in use but the sheet offers me 65536 rows
    (available by scrolling) instead of the 70-or so rows that I would expect.
    How do I correct this please?

    TIA of any reply,
    DB.

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Opening workbook at sheet required.

    Then look in the ThisWorkbook module for an autoopen or workbook open event
    that takes you to sheet 2.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: Opening workbook at sheet required.

    Hi DB,

    Could be all sorts of reasons for this most of which I couldn't even
    begin to guess, but probably the easiest thing to do is open a new
    sheet, copy and paste your data to the new sheet and delete
    the old sheet. Use your mouse to select your copy data and not "ctrl a"

    HTH
    Martin

  4. #4
    DB.
    Guest

    Re: Opening workbook at sheet required.

    "MartinW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi DB,
    >
    > Could be all sorts of reasons for this most of which I couldn't even
    > begin to guess, but probably the easiest thing to do is open a new
    > sheet, copy and paste your data to the new sheet and delete
    > the old sheet. Use your mouse to select your copy data and not "ctrl a"
    >
    > HTH
    > Martin

    Thanks, Martin. I'd already tried your solution before you suggested
    it. But that copies the cell numerical values into the new sheet without
    transferring the formulae that created them. (The formula bar contains the
    number in the cell, not the formula that led to it).
    Perhaps I'll have to live with my original (minor) problem!

    BW's,
    DB.

  5. #5
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: Opening workbook at sheet required.

    Hi DB,

    >But that copies the cell numerical values into the new sheet without

    transferring the formulae that created them.<

    Err No. That pastes the formulae or if there is no formula in a cell it
    pastes the value

    >(The formula bar contains the number in the cell, not the formula that led
    >to it).<

    Errr No again. The formula bar displays the true value of a cell whether it
    is a formula or a number or text or whatever and that is the value that is
    copied, not the 'display' that is shown in the actual cell.

    Regards
    Martin

  6. #6
    DB.
    Guest

    Re: Opening workbook at sheet required.

    "MartinW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi DB,
    >
    > >But that copies the cell numerical values into the new sheet without

    > transferring the formulae that created them.<
    >
    > Err No. That pastes the formulae or if there is no formula in a cell it
    > pastes the value
    >
    >>(The formula bar contains the number in the cell, not the formula that led
    >>to it).<

    > Errr No again. The formula bar displays the true value of a cell whether
    > it
    > is a formula or a number or text or whatever and that is the value that is
    > copied, not the 'display' that is shown in the actual cell.
    >
    > Regards
    > Martin

    Thanks for coming back again, Martin. I've an apology to make...

    I was opening a new workbook and copying the data there - not, as it seems
    you were suggesting, opening a new sheet in the same workbook. And, yes (I
    insist - I've spent all morning p*ss*ng about with this!) doing that *does*
    copy across numbers, not formulae.

    When I opened a new sheet (sheet 3) in the *same* workbook and copied the
    data across to it (from sheet 2) formulae went over to it satisfactorily.
    Not now needing sheet 2 I tabbed it up and tried to delete it (Edit - Delete
    Sheet) but 'Delete Sheet' was greyed-out - indeed, it's greyed out IRO tabs
    1 & 3, too in this workbook.
    Now it always opens up at sheet 3 - I still can't get it to open at sheet 1.
    But I've got rid of the 65536-row irritation I mentioned in my original
    post.

    Your replies have been much appreciated but my problems here are quite
    insignificant: I can easily live with them, and I'm not looking to you to
    come back again. Isn't it just irritating when things don't behave just as
    they should and you can't work out why?

    Thanks again,
    Don.

  7. #7
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: Opening workbook at sheet required.

    Hi again Don,

    I know you said it is non-consequential, but it still intrigues me that the
    opening problem has moved to the new sheet.

    Could it be a function that is volatile (like now() or today()) or
    a macro that is still active when you save, so that it is the last thing to
    be saved?

    Copying and pasting by small increments would help to isolate
    the rogue cell(s), if that is the case.

    Or, like you say, we can just do a 'Ned Kelly' and say 'Such is Life"

    Regards
    Martin

  8. #8
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Opening workbook at sheet required.

    try a workbook_open event in the ThisWorkbook module

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  9. #9
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Opening workbook at sheet required.

    right click the excel icon just to the left of FILE>view code>insert this.
    SAVE

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Sheets("sheet2").Select
    End Sub

    If this doesn't work send me your workbook.

    =your private email to me
    Thanks for replying to my post on the ng. But I really am an
    "excel.newuser"!
    I'm not now very concerned to take this matter further - life's too
    short! - but feel I must reply to your post somehow.
    If it won't take up too much of your time perhaps you might explain by
    email (in a few words, to an old man) just what you mean by "try a
    workbook_open event in the ThisWorkbook module"?

    BW's,
    DB.
    (another Don)

    --