Automating Data Analasys

  1. #1
    Thansal
    Guest

    Automating Data Analasys

    I am working on a project for my department that involves looking at
    student rosters, checking what classes each student is registered for
    and then recording how many classes they are registered for during:
    M-F during the day (D)
    M-Th during the evening (E)
    Friday evening (F)
    Saturday (S)
    Sunday (U)

    And then how many credits they are taking in each of those periods.

    I now have 3 spread sheets I am working with
    One will contain all of my final information
    One contains the student's classes they are registered for (via our
    code for the class)
    The third is a list of all of the info on each class (sorted by codes)

    In the third sheet (the Class list) I have created a formula that has
    given me what time period each class falls under (D, E, F, S, U).

    What I now need is a formula for my student spread sheet. What I want
    it to do is:
    Look at the Cell to the left of it (this will either be blank or
    contain a code)
    Identify that code on the sheet that has my class list (for ease of
    refference I have just made a second worksheet named CLASS, so
    refferencing it is done via CLASS! I know).
    Pull out the letter code (sitting in the cell to the Right) and that
    would be result of the formula.

    My main problems are:
    1) I don't know how to have a formula seach through a list for
    something specific.
    2) Refference something that is one column over (B-1 = A? A+1 = B?)

    Once I understand these things I should be able to automate what
    aparently was done by hand before

    Thank you for your time and help.

  2. #2
    Thansal
    Guest

    Re: Automating Data Analasys

    Well, I have found out how to use VLOOKUP, and that made things much
    easier :D
    I figgured out a simple IF statment lets me check to see if I actualy
    need to run the conversion....

    Things are looking up :D

  3. #3
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: Automating Data Analasys

    Do you need any more help with this, or are you at a good place right now and
    just looking forward to your next brick wall? If so, reply to this and I'll
    get back to the thread as soon as I get the email.