Need formula to calculate time difference

  1. #1
    markndawoods
    Guest

    Need formula to calculate time difference

    I am certain there is a really simple way of doing this and I am just too
    stupid to figure it out...

    I just want to have Row 1 Column B show a start time I manually enter (say
    9:15PM), then be able to enter 10 (ten minutes) in row 2 column A to show a
    value of 9:25PM in row 2 column B.

    Row 2 Column B has time value (9:20PM)
    Row 2 Column A has minutes allowed (20)

    In other words, add B2 and A3 and show them as a new time in B3.

    Any takers???

  2. #2
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Need formula to calculate time difference

    Hi, if you type just 10 on a2 the formula should be

    =b1+time(0;a2;0)

    if you type 00:00
    is just b1+a2

    hth
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  3. #3
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Need formula to calculate time difference

    Or in maths terms without the
    time() function

    =3D b1 + (a2/60/24)

    Steve

    On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:36:02 +0100, Marcelo =

    =

    >> too
    >> stupid to figure it out...
    >>
    >> I just want to have Row 1 Column B show a start time I manually enter=

    =

    >> (say
    >> 9:15PM), then be able to enter 10 (ten minutes) in row 2 column A to =

    =

    >> show a
    >> value of 9:25PM in row 2 column B.
    >>
    >> Row 2 Column B has time value (9:20PM)
    >> Row 2 Column A has minutes allowed (20)
    >>
    >> In other words, add B2 and A3 and show them as a new time in B3.
    >>
    >> Any takers???

    -- =

    Steve (3)

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Need formula to calculate time difference

    Hi Marcelo,
    To help you tie in how the formulas that were supplied as answers
    work, you should be aware that time is a fraction of a day. So 6
    hours is .25 days, and 20 minutes is =20/(24*60) of a day.

    Dates are measured as days past a reference date. You can
    read more about Date and Time and their calculations in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm

    ---
    HTH,