[SOLVED] Text to columns

  1. #1
    bee1000
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Text to columns

    When using text to columns to split a date / time formatted field which is
    generated bya formula I have preciously had no problems. All of a sudden
    the data preview pain in the wizrd now shows the formula rather than the
    result so I cannot split. Please help!!

    Thanks

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Text to columns

    If you are actually showing the formula then
    Tools, Options, Calculation, Calculation: automatic

    Text to Columns is really for dividing text entries, and dates
    are numbers so I think you are going to have somewhat inconsistent
    results over time with what you actually start with and what you actually
    end up with. And I don't think Text to Columns is going to do anything
    with formula. You might read about Date and Time at
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm

    A1: 2006-07-21 18:29 B1: =Year(a1) C1: =MONTH(a1) D1: =DAY(A1)
    A2: =A1 + 10 ------------ use fill handle to copy formulas down ------------

    ---
    HTH,