how do I make more then one line of pasted text not move to one cell?

  1. #1
    marrie
    Guest

    how do I make more then one line of pasted text not move to one cell?

    Hello. How do I make one block of text I pasted not go in to 2 cells and if
    I want to merge those 2 cells together in to one cell let's say merge 5d in
    to 4d, is that possible? Thanks. Oh, I'm visually impaired so is this
    possible with the keyboard? Thanks.

  2. #2
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: how do I make more then one line of pasted text not move to one cell?

    If you click on the cell but paste into the formula bar at the top
    The whole text will go into the cell

    Steve

    =

    > and if
    > I want to merge those 2 cells together in to one cell let's say merge =

    5d =

    > in
    > to 4d, is that possible? Thanks. Oh, I'm visually impaired so is this
    > possible with the keyboard? Thanks.

    -- =

    Steve (3)

  3. #3
    marrie
    Guest

    Re: how do I make more then one line of pasted text not move to one cell?

    Is there a way to do that with the keyboard ane menues? I know control+v
    is the paste command

    --
    Steve (3)

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: how do I make more then one line of pasted text not move to one cell?

    Hi Marrie

    Yes Control + V will do it for you.
    Control + C is for Copy
    Control + X is for Cut

    If you have data that is in 2 cells and you want to join it together
    then use
    =D4&" "&D5

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    marrie
    Guest

    Re: how do I make more then one line of pasted text not move to one cell?

    Where would I put that? I'm really really new at excel, IE I just started
    using it today.
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: how do I make more then one line of pasted text not move to one cell?

    Hi Marrie

    You would put the formula in another cell, e.g. in cell E4 enter the
    formula.
    That will now contain what is in D4 plus a space then what is in D5.

    In order to "fix" the value in E4 so it does not alter if you alter or
    delete either of D4 or D5, you need to then copy cell E4 and Paste
    Special>Values back to cell E4. This will change it from a formula, to
    the result of the formula.
    Now you have your concatenated text, and you can happily clear the
    contents of D4 and D5.

    If you want to do the Copy and Paste Special>Values with keystrokes,
    then select cell E4
    Control + C
    Alt + S then Enter
    Alt +V then Enter

    Enjoy your new life in the Excel world<bg> and do post back if you have
    more queries.

  7. #7
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: how do I make more then one line of pasted text not move to one cell?

    Unfortunately NO, well not in the normal setup.

    So, we'll have to change this
    Tools->Options..
    Chose Edit tab, then uncheck the *Edit directly in cell*

    You want to Click on Cell, then press F2 to *edit the cell*
    Then paste (and Ctrl+V will do that) your text into the formula bar at t=
    he =

    top.

    I see from a later post that you are new to excel
    Sorry to ask, but lots of new users start pasting text - remember Word i=
    s =

    best for documents, even short quick notes.

    And cell references are best written as LetterDigit, ie D4, D5

    Steve

  8. #8
    marrie
    Guest

    Re: how do I make more then one line of pasted text not move to one cell?

    basically I'm creating a table contaning some names and interests. The
    interests of these people are the problem as they are taking up more then
    one cell.

  9. #9
    marrie

  10. #10
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: how do I make more then one line of pasted text not move to one cell?

    Hi Marrie

    There is no problem in storing lots of text (up to 32,667 characters) in
    a single cell, but I believe that only the first 1024 characters are
    normally visible. There are ways of seeing all of the text if you do run
    over 1024 characters.

    In order to enter data easily, first format the cells
    Format>cells>Alignment>Wrap text
    If you want data to be entered on separate lines with the cell, then use
    Alt Enter to force a line feed.

    This also enables you to overcome the limit of 1024 characters
    displayed, but I'm not sure what the maximum display is if you use this
    method.

  11. #11
    marrie
    Guest

    Re: how do I make more then one line of pasted text not move to one cell?

    Thanks. I'll find out via your method.