Help Modifying this Formula ....

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Love City, USA

    Question Help Modifying this Formula ....

    hi, I am trying to modify the formula below to use the LEFT function.. any help Appreciated..

    =SUM(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("DAY"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:31"))&"!H6:H35"),"=W"))

    I tried this below, but I get a reference error:

    =SUM(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("DAY"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:31"))&"!(LEFT(H6:H35,1"),"=W"))

    Thanks In Advance..

  2. #2
    OZDOC
    Guest

    Re: Help Modifying this Formula ....

    (LEFT(H6:H35,1")

    I cant look it up now but is left used in a cell reference ? if so you have
    a range and I don't think it will work in the range as its cell specific and
    would be the problem

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    OZDOC

  4. #4
    OZDOC

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Love City, USA
    Could you elaborate on the LEFT Function Not being possible in this Formula? Thanks

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help Modifying this Formula ....

    The problem is that LEFT will not work in COUNTIF, so that is where you
    incorporate it in SUMPRODUCT so as to return an array of results for SP to
    process. However, the INDIRECT has to be used to get a 3D calc, but that
    doesn't seem to work with LEFT. I haven't quite figured out why yet, if and
    when I do, it should be clear whether or not there is an alternative
    solution.

    Bob Phillips

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Love City, USA
    Once again, Thanks Bob. I will just use another formula method for checking the LEFT positions on all sheets being tested... At least until there's a better future way of doing it as you mentioned...

    Countif ... Just Hate Those LEFTs or Vise Versa .lol....

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    Love City, USA
    I Found a slight workaround for the Formula I presented wanting to use the LEFT Function...

    =SUM(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("DAY"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:31"))&"!G6:G35"),"W*"))

    Simply Counting Anything within the G6:G35 Range that Begins With "W" This Works for me just as well as using the LEFT Function...

    Thanks for the assistance on this topic..
    Last edited by Mhz; 07-30-2006 at 11:39 PM.

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help Modifying this Formula ....

    of course, should have thought of that myself. Wood for the trees syndrome.

    Bob Phillips