[SOLVED] List for AutoFilter and list for Subtotals have different meanings?

  1. #1
    Epinn
    Guest

    [SOLVED] List for AutoFilter and list for Subtotals have different meanings?

    I need to type up a list if I want to use

    (1) Date>Filter>AutoFilter or
    (2) Data>Subtotals

    A sample list:

    Month Units
    Jan 100
    Jan 200
    Feb 100
    Feb 400
    Mar 300
    etc. etc.

    I find the following interesting.

    To do (1) AutoFilter, I have to actually **create** a list i.e.
    Data>List>Create List ......

    If I want to do (2) Subtotals, I **don't** have to do Data>List>Create List
    ....... If I do, Subtotals on the menu won't even be highlighted.

    Although both (1) and (2) require a list, the definition of a list appears
    different.

    Have I missed anything? Welcome feedback and comments. Please don't ask me
    to read help because I have done that. I have also watched the AutoFilter
    demo and actually tried the commands. Thanks for reading and please correct
    me if I am wrong. I want to analyze and experiment "sort" and "validation"
    in the data menu at another time so that I don't get too confused right now.
    But please feel free to voice any comments regarding these two commands in
    terms of list.

    Epinn

  2. #2
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: List for AutoFilter and list for Subtotals have different meanings?

    Epinn wrote:
    > I need to type up a list if I want to use
    >
    > (1) Date>Filter>AutoFilter or
    > (2) Data>Subtotals
    >
    > A sample list:
    >
    > Month Units
    > Jan 100
    > Jan 200
    > Feb 100
    > Feb 400
    > Mar 300
    > etc. etc.
    >
    > I find the following interesting.
    >
    > To do (1) AutoFilter, I have to actually **create** a list i.e.
    > Data>List>Create List ......
    >
    > If I want to do (2) Subtotals, I **don't** have to do Data>List>Create List
    > ...... If I do, Subtotals on the menu won't even be highlighted.
    >
    > Although both (1) and (2) require a list, the definition of a list appears
    > different.
    >
    > Have I missed anything? Welcome feedback and comments. Please don't ask me
    > to read help because I have done that. I have also watched the AutoFilter
    > demo and actually tried the commands. Thanks for reading and please correct
    > me if I am wrong. I want to analyze and experiment "sort" and "validation"
    > in the data menu at another time so that I don't get too confused right now.
    > But please feel free to voice any comments regarding these two commands in
    > terms of list.
    >
    > Epinn

    My auto filter works without having to create a list. Select the entire
    sheet by clicking in the upper left hand corner of the sheet. Select auto
    filter. It should place a drop down box at the top of each column. Now you
    can select a value from the drop down and the sheet will be filtered for
    that value.

    gls858

  3. #3
    Epinn
    Guest

    Re: List for AutoFilter and list for Subtotals have different meanings?

    Thanks gls858. This is getting more interesting.

    AutoFilter works regardless of whether I actually do Data>List>Create List,
    or just highlight a range or select all.

    Data>Subtotals only seems to work the best when I highlight a range. It
    **won't work** if I do Data>List>create list. It is not a good idea
    (although it works) to select all (i.e. choosing the entire sheet) because
    it will include blank cells, and it can be confusing if one forgets to
    adjust the entries in the dialogue box.

    Now, I have to find out when I **must** create a list (Data>List>Create
    List) before I can apply a command.

    Comments welcome.

    Epinn

    news:#tgG#[email protected]...